Tuesday, July 7, 2009

R.I.P. Michael Jackson


It's been a little over a week since Michael Jackson passed away, and today was his memorial service at the Staples Center in LA. I am still very saddened by this and can't believe he's gone. No, I can't say that I was there from the start, I am quite unaware of his philanthropy, wouldn't do too well if I took a quiz on his life, and definitely wouldn't claim to be his biggest fan, but he was the first musical artist that I really loved. I didn't jump onto his fan wagon until after hearing his "Dangerous" album on cassette, but it didn't take long for me to realize how good he was and start digging into his other albums such as "Bad." I remember him coming for a concert in Honolulu and wanting to go so badly, but not being able to. I was so envious of those who got to see him and always wanted to see him perform live someday. That's one thing on my bucket list that I'll never be able to do, and I'm quite saddened by that.

Like many things in life, you really don't know what you have until it's gone. I think the world is experiencing that with Michael Jackson as I see his after death coverage on TV all the time and hear his music being played everywhere. It wasn't until recently that I came to realize just how many hits he's had in his career, so many that they can't fit onto a hits CD of his. We can try to think up names of the top pop stars of today and that's when we see that no one really is even in the same realm as him, and they actually all look up to him. Pop music wasn't the same after Michael Jackson came onto the scene, and neither was the dancing. No one did it better, it's as simple as that. Although I didn't know him personally, I, like many others, was a huge fan of his music and I feel like a part of me has gone in a way since he was the first musician I was a fan of. Rest in peace, King of Pop, you're the greatest to ever do it.

No comments: